When you put a huge amount of time and energy into accomplishing a major goal, it’s sometimes easy to blow right past that goal without thinking. Hell, it took a couple weeks after I graduated college that I finally realized that it had happened. So although I don’t think it’s been firmly imprinted upon my conscious quite yet, The Brew Gentlemen Beer Co. is now officially making beer.
Brandon has worked some crazy hours this week in order to get all of our tanks filled with beer, brewing nine batches of five different varieties in five days. For a more in-depth look into this very intense week, you can read his account below. Here’s the current lineup:
- Day 1: Hello World (Special Release) – A one-off British-style Special Bitter, brewed to calibrate our system
- Day 2: White Sky (Flagship) – Our signature chai-spiced wheat beer
- Day 3: Non-Timber Forest Product (Special Release) – Our collaboration maple beer with Sprague Farm & Brew Works for Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week 2014
- Day 4: Business Casual (Flagship) – Our session red ale
- Day 5: Random science experiment! (not pictured) – An open-fermented hybrid beer, utilizing our idle whirlpool kettle as a fermenter to test the ambient microbiology of Braddock.
It’s been a long and tumultuous road to get to this point. Setback after setback pushed back our ability to make beer until months after we had planned to do so, and we still have much to accomplish before we’re finally able to open the brewery. We’ll be spending the next month finishing up the renovation of our taproom while we tweak recipes and build inventory, followed by a series of soft openings before we officially open for normal hours.
Soon, we shall have beer. And what a long, strange trip it’s been.